Transport working group
Transport Working Group
During our conversation with the public around the planned hospital changes concern was expressed about transport arrangements for patients and their loved ones if they were to be treated at a site further from their home.
We established a patient led Transport Working Group in March 2018 to help us better understand those concerns and work together to find solutions.
So far the group has helped us to:
- Implement a new transport service for Broomfield, with the support of Chelmsford Community Transport, which supports patients, families and carers to access the hospital for appointments, and visits.
- Enhance the existing Southend Care Cars service by increasing the number of voluntary drivers.
- Improve the travel information on how to access our three hospital sites via their websites
- Approved a “low income” policy for family and carers who are supporting a loved one at a more distant site – this will enable the reimbursement of travel costs.
- Inform discussions with commercial bus operators regarding service timings and routes