During our conversation with the public around the planned hospital changes concern was expressed about transport arrangements for patients and their loved ones if they were to be treated at a site further from their home.
We established a patient led Transport Working Group in March 2018 to help us better understand those concerns and work together to find solutions.
So far the group has helped us to:
- Implement a new transport service for Broomfield, with the support of Chelmsford Community Transport, which supports patients, families and carers to access the hospital for appointments, and visits.
- Enhance the existing Southend Care Cars service by increasing the number of voluntary drivers.
- Improve the travel information on how to access our three hospital sites via their websites
- Approved a “low income” policy for family and carers who are supporting a loved one at a more distant site – this will enable the reimbursement of travel costs.
- Inform discussions with commercial bus operators regarding service timings and routes